Monday, December 24, 2012

My Favorite Recipes: Free Range Fruitcake

Every Christmas for the past few years, I have made my Dad a fruitcake. Even though I will not see him for Christmas this year, I still wanted to make his fruitcake and ship it to him because he loves it so much. I think he also loves the half full (positivity!) bottle of whiskey that accompanies it :)

What I love about this recipe is that you can change up the types of fruit to put in which is why I call it "Free Range". I like to use Craisins because of their sweetness. You can also add raisins, golden raisins, mango, or any other dried fruit you can find. You can also use either whiskey or rum, I change it up every year but I think my Dad prefers whiskey!

This recipe actually makes 2 fruitcakes if you like your cakes a bit smaller. I feel that putting all of this in 1 loaf pan makes for a really oversized cake and I like to give 1 extra cake so my Dad can freeze it to enjoy later in the year.

Ingredients



  • 1 bag Craisins (Original)

  • 1 bag Craisins - Blueberry

  • 1 bag Craisins - Cherry

  • 1 bag dried apricots, chopped

  • Zest of one lemon, chopped coarsely

  • Zest of one orange, chopped coarsely

  • 1 cup whiskey OR gold rum

  • 1 cup sugar

  • 5 ounces unsalted butter (1 1/4 sticks)

  • 1 cup unfiltered apple juice

  • Allspice to taste (about 1-3 tablespoons)

  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

  • 1 teaspoon ground ginger

  • 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour

  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt

  • 1 teaspoon baking soda

  • 1 teaspoon baking powder

  • 2 eggs

  • 1/4 to 1/2 cup toasted pecans, broken

  • Extra whiskey or rum for basting and/or spritzing




























Instructions


free range fruitcake ingredientschopped dried apricots fruit cakezestmacarate fruit

  • Combine all dried fruits and zests

  • Add 1 cup whiskey or rum



  • Stir and cover

  • Allow to macerate 6-8 hours


 cooking fruit cake

  • Preheat oven to 325 degrees

  • Place fruit and liquid in a pot with the sugar, butter, apple juice and spices

  • Bring mixture to a boil stirring often, then reduce heat and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes.

  • Remove from heat and cool for at least 15 minutes.

  • NOTE: Batter can be completed up to this point, then covered and refrigerated for up to 2 days. Bring to room temperature before completing cake.


adding dry ingredients

  • Combine dry ingredients and sift into fruit mixture

  • Quickly bring batter together with a large wooden spoon, then stir in eggs one at a time until completely integrated, then fold in nuts

  • Spoon into a 10-inch loaf pan and bake for 1 hour. My favorite is the Pampered Chef Stonewear!

  • Insert a toothpick into the middle of the cake. If it comes out clean, it is done.


finished fruitcake

  • Sprinkle some whiskey or rum on top

  • ENJOY!



This makes for a fantastic Christmas present!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment